Lansing Community College (LCC) recently celebrated community history and education at the dedication of a Michigan Historical Marker at the LCC Carnegie Library.
The LCC Carnegie Library Building, whose cornerstone was laid 110 years ago in 1903, was funded by American steel magnate Andrew Carnegie, along with local financial support approved by Lansing voters. The Carnegie Library opened its doors in 1905, and within a year amassed 13,000 volumes.
The Carnegie served as Lansing’s main library until 1964. LCC took over the building soon after for use as administrative offices and a counseling center. The building is now part of LCC’s University Center, housing classrooms for LCC’s partnerships with Michigan four-year colleges and universities. The Carnegie Building is located in downtown Lansing at 210 W. Shiawassee St.