It’s time to bundle up and embrace the season for big fun during Lansing Winterfest.
Let’s get ready to bundle!
Grab those gloves, dust off the hat and lace up your boots. It’s time to bundle up and embrace the season for big fun during Lansing Winterfest. Presented by the Capital Region Community Foundation in conjunction with Downtown Lansing Inc., the outdoor excitement takes place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 27.
“The Community Foundation is dedicated to creating vibrant communities, so we see this event is a natural partnership with Downtown Lansing Inc.,” said Laurie Baumer, executive vice president of the foundation. “Lansing Winterfest is also the perfect opportunity to showcase our new skating rink downtown on City Hall Plaza.”
Winterfest turns downtown Lansing into a wonderland of safe outdoor fun for the entire family. The winter walk on the Lansing River Trail from Impression 5 Science Center to Old Town has sights and activities for everyone.
“After so many events being canceled over the past year, we are proud to bring a day of outdoor winter fun to the heart of the Capital City with all of our partners,” said Downtown Lansing Inc. Executive Director Cathleen Edgerly. “Families and adults will find a host of activities to enjoy throughout the downtown in a safe, outdoor environment. Choose your own adventure by participating in all, or select activities that are offered throughout the day from downtown to Old Town.”
The community is encouraged to grab a selfie with 16 ice sculptures, four of which will be carved live during Winterfest. Use the tag #LansingWinterfest on your social posts to be entered to win an Impression 5 membership.
The Winterfest schedule includes:
- Cocoa and Coffee Walk: Bring your family and stroll the Lansing River Trail from Old Town to downtown as you warm up with hot chocolate or coffee from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Ice Carving: Live carvings of ice sculptures will take place on the hour from noon to 3 p.m. along the Lansing River Trail from Turner Park in Old Town to Rotary Park in downtown Lansing. There will also be a live carving in the traffic circle at Michigan Avenue and Washington Square.
- Cold Butt Boat Race: Cheer on community leaders as they have some frozen fun on the river with River Town Adventures in the tandem kayak boat races from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Pet Photo Booth: Bring your furry friend to the Pet Photo Booth from 1:30-3 p.m. and have your pet play with others in the Pup House set up along the Lansing River Trail.
- Impression 5 WinterFest Outdoor Celebration: Head to Impression 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for an outdoor WinterFest celebration featuring a selection of activities crafted to show you how local nonprofits have innovated new ways to serve you throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Explore Impression 5’s outdoor campus, and enjoy activities from the Allen Neighborhood Center, Potter Park Zoo, REACH Studio Art Center, Fenner Nature Center and Impression 5. Reservations are required for Impression 5’s WinterFest outdoor activities. Museum visits also require a reservation.
- Ice Skating: Lace up for the Community Foundation’s and city of Lansing’s brand-new ice rink located at City Hall Plaza across from the state Capitol. The ice rink is open all day during Winterfest.
- Winter Patios and Treats: Visit downtown Lansing’s newest hotel, the Courtyard Marriott, for Starbucks drinks and tours of the new hotel from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy craft beer and cocktails on the winter patios of the Lansing Brewing Co. or Midtown Brewing Co. Shop Summit Comics & Games, the Peanut Shop or try Turkish treats at Social Sloth Cafe.
- Old Town Chocolate Walk: Get your ticket for Old Town’s Chocolate Walk from noon to 5 p.m., or shop at the unique retail shops offering specials throughout Old Town for the day.
Lansing Winterfest is free and open to the public. The Impression 5 outdoor WinterFest activities require reservations. Masks and social distancing practices are strongly recommended.
To view a map of all attractions and more information, visit downtownlansing.org/lansing-winterfest/.