I love wine. I love drinking it, talking about it, giving it as a gift … It’s a drink that’s perfect for almost any occasion. And whether I’m out to dinner with my boyfriend or hanging out at home and binge-watching Scandal, I’ll take wine over almost any other beverage.
Because I buy and drink wine fairly frequently, I end up with a lot of empty glass bottles hanging around my house. Luckily, there are plenty of fun and easy ways to reuse those bottles so that they don’t go to waste. One of my favorite ways to reuse wine bottles is by wrapping them with colorful yarn. These decorated wine bottles are great to use as part of your home décor or to give as gifts for the wine enthusiast in your life. Here’s how you can make some wrapped up wine bottles of your own:
Empty wine bottle
Plastic flowers (optional)
WHAT TO DO:
1. The first thing you’ll want to do is remove the label from the wine bottle. That way if your wrapping isn’t super tight you won’t see the label peaking out. To do this, fill your sink with warm water and a few drops of dish soap. Place the wine bottle in the sink and let it soak for at least 10 minutes, then remove the bottle from the sink and begin peeling the label off. If the label tears or leaves behind some of the adhesive, simply put the wine bottle back in the sink and let it continue to soak until the label can be easily removed.
2. Once the label is completely off of the bottle and it is dry, you can begin the wrapping process. With a medium sized paintbrush, apply a small amount of Mod Podge around the wine bottle, starting at the neck and working your way down. It’s best to only cover small sections at a time so that it doesn’t dry before you’re ready to wrap.
3. Take your colorful yarn and begin wrapping it around the neck of the wine bottle. When you first start this process, it may be hard to keep the yarn from slipping, but once you’ve wrapped it a few times, it will be more manageable. Make sure to push the yarn together every now and then to avoid gaps in your wrapping. Continue applying Mod Podge in small sections and adding yarn until you reach the bottom of the wine bottle. If you want to add another colored yarn to the bottle, simply cut the yarn you’re using and begin wrapping with the next color.
4. For a fun pop of floral on your wrapped wine bottle, take a few plastic flowers and place the stem in the Mod Podge and continue wrapping over the stem.
5. Once you’ve finished wrapping your wine bottle, let it dry for at least two hours, and then you’re ready to place it in your home or give it to a friend!